CBD or Cannabidiol is mostly taken in the form of oil, but CBD topical products are increasing in popularity. The CBD topicals include pain-relieving balms, lip balms, skin creams, lotions, serums, transdermal patches, and salves.
CBD also comes in edible products such as CBD gummies. CBD topicals are made for applying directly on the skin for deep muscle pain relief, skin surface-level problem relief, or sleep or relaxation. So CBD topicals give us localized relief and also help us benefit our appearance and skin health.
CBD is now a work under the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) since the CBD products coming from hemp have been legalized by the Farm bill.
The formulation of CBD oil and CBD topical is very different. Topical CBDs contain skincare ingredients like essential oils, vitamins, and herbal extracts.
What is CBD?
CBD or Cannabidiol is among the phytochemicals, and non-psychoactive cannabinoids that are present in cannabis. The other cannabinoid that is responsible for the high in the cannabis is THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol.
Hemp plants and marijuana both are members of the family of cannabis. According to US Federal law, marijuana contains 0.3% Tetrahydrocannabinol (TCH) more than hemp. Thus being 0.3% or less than marijuana, hemp is used for the extraction and cultivation of CBD.
Medical marijuana produces a high’ but, CBD products do not. Phytocannabinoids in the cannabis interact with the endocannabinoid system or ECS and can affect different body functions like sleep, pain processing ability, mood, inflammation, etc.
Is CBD cream good for your skin? Skin conditions it can treat
The right source of oil or fat that is healthy is great for the skin as it provides and locks moisture but at the same time, it is non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog pores). CBD cream benefits the skin as they act as anti-oxidants. CBD also has amino acids and vitamin B complex which are essential for healthy skin.
The goal of CBD on the skin is to achieve stasis or a balance in the EC (endocannabinoid) system. Let us see what CBD does on the following skin problems:
- Acne – It is caused mostly by hormones. CBD here fights the swelling or inflammation and hence the redness that comes along with the inflammation thus helping in normalizing the skin. (more info)
- Inflammation – CBD, the transdermal version helps in reducing inflammation and pain making it a treatment for various skin problems like eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea.
- Scarring – CBD also helps in treating patients with scar tissue.
- Itching – CBD has shown to lower itching which is chronic or treatment-resistant by blocking the nerve endings so that the sensation of itching does not reach us.
What CBD Cream Has in It
It is a topical cream-based ointment that is infused with Cannabidiol (CBD). Most the quality beauty or health creams are half water and half oil to form a cream texture that can retain the skin’s moisture. Creams are thick in texture thus it helps people with dry, itchy, or flaky skin conditions.
Salves and balms used for pain relief are made of oil and wax that keep them to get absorbed quickly and hence stay a long time on the skin (slow absorption) to help relieve chronic pain.
After you have identified your source of pain or any discomfort, you should start with a lower CBD concentration cream or lotions and gradually increase the dosage. However, we do not have to worry about any side effects of CBD cream (hemp-derived) as there aren’t any. But it is always sensible to consult a doctor before trying the CBD cream or lotion.
Criteria to choose a CBD cream:
Hemp source, quality control, extraction method, potency or strength of dosage, brand, and the kind of hemp extract.
Skin benefit derived from CBD creams
- Complexion balance – CBD maintains the ECS to stay in balance so that there is enough retained hydration to the skin and no oil in excess in the T-zone or patchy spots.
- Skin-soothing – topical CBD creams can help in soothing dryness, flaky skin, redness, and itching due to the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD.
- Reduces aging signs – CBD has a lot of antioxidants (vitamin C, vitamin E) that treats inflammation, treats dryness, fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots too.
CBD topicals are a very new and intriguing strategy for natural and herbal wellness. These can be a very good addition to the daily health and skincare regime. I hope you this article has provided every info about a CBD cream.