The plans for this year’s Moseley Community Festival have been revealed. This year’s festival in the lively Birmingham suburb will include everything from a pirate-themed party to taco making.
The festival is run not-for-profit by volunteers, with support from local businesses and community groups.
It’s perhaps best known for the famous Street Fair, which will take place this year on Saturday 15 July. However, there’s much more to enjoy across the four days, with a focus on sustainability as much as fun, with foraging, botanical ink making and clothes swaps amongst the events on offer.
The festival kicks off on Thursday 13 July, with pirate crafting in Sorrento Lounge, an early evening family-friendly rave followed by a salsa night in Moseley Hive, and free Drum n’ Bounce in Moseley Park and Pool.
Highlights on the Friday include a wildflower meadow walk at Moseley Bog, wellbeing activities and live music in Moseley Hive, and a pirate-themed party in the Park and Pool.
On the Saturday, as well as the street fair’s 40 stalls, people can enjoy yoga, dance, arts and cookery workshops at different venues, as well as a painted rock hunt around the Village, where people finding a rock can exchange it for a sweet surprise.
On Sunday, the final day of the Festival, Kings Heath Action for Refugees has its annual KHARnival in Highbury Park, and there’s also a festival-themed clothes swap in Moseley Hive.
Rhiannon Simpson, part of the Moseley Festival organising committee, said:
“We’re so excited about the range of events we’ve got planned for this year’s Moseley Community Festival. We hope there is something for everyone, whatever their age or background, and that the festival celebrates everything that’s great about Moseley.
“Most of the events we’re running are free to take part in. The festival is only possible because of the hard work of our volunteers, as well as support from local community groups and businesses. Next year, the festival will be turning 50, and so we’re already starting to think how we can have an even bigger celebration.”
If you’re interested in helping out at the Moseley Festival in 2023 or 2024, please contact email@example.com
You can also follow the Festival on Twitter and Instagram at @moseleyfestival
Supporting and celebrating our high street is more important than ever. Across the weekend, enjoy special events and food offers from a host of local businesses.
Specific events at this year’s festival include:
Thursday 13th July
- Pirate Craft Workshop, 3-6pm, Sorrento Lounge
- Throw Shapes Not Toys family rave, 4-6pm Moseley Hive
- Morris on the Green, 7-9pm, Village Green
- Drum n’ Bounce,7-8pm, Moseley Park
- Quiz Time, 7pm, Prince of Wales (£2 entry per person)
- Salsa Night & Latino Party, 7pm-late, Moseley Hive
Friday 14th July
- Wildflower Meadow Walk, 10.30am-12pm, Moseley Bog
- Health and Healing Day, 10am-2pm, Moseley Hive
- Kinmos Summer Party, 3-6pm, Moseley Hive
- Pirate Party Extravaganza with Circus Mash, 4-7pm, Moseley Park (bring a picnic)
- Kings of Spain & Friends, 7-9.30pm, Moseley Hive
Saturday 15th July
- I am Yogi Yoga (time tbc), Moseley Park
- Moseley Festival’s Famous Street Fair, 11-4pm, Village Green: 40 stalls from local makers and creators, community groups, Caribbean food. Performances from Moselele, Skylarks Choir, Community Orchestra, street performers.
- Moseley Rocks Treasure Hunt, from 11am, High Street, Village Square and Moseley Park – follow social media for clues and swap them for a prize from Willy Wonka himself at the sweet shop (1 prize per person)
- Dot Mandala Workshop, 10am-12pm, Moseley Hive
- Botanical ink making, 12-4pm, Seventh Circle Artworks & Aesthetics, 10 St Marys Row
- Hula Hoop workshop, 12.30-1.30pm, Moseley Park
- Bounce mini trampoline drop in 12-2pm, Outside Moseley Hive
- ITZATNA Tales, Tortillas and Tacos, 1-2.30pm (Free but booking required).
- Clean Rivers for Wildlife and Humans Parade, 2pm, Meet outside old HSBC
- Dance Workshop, 3-4pm, Moseley Hive
- Wizard of Oz Costume Design Workshop, 4.30-5.30pm, Moseley Hive
- Backyard Beats, 5.30-11pm, Mason Mayci Garden
- St Mary’s Choir Performance, 6pm, St. Marys Church
- Enchanted open mic poetry, music and performance session, 6-9pm, Moseley Park
Sunday 16th July
- I Am Yogi Yoga RESTORE (45 MINS) (Time TBC)
- Festival Clothes Swap Shop, 1-3pm, Moseley Hive
- Kings Heath Action for Refugees KHARnival, 12-5pm, Highbury Orchard and Mansion, Highbury Park (Pay as you feel entrance donation)
- Live Jazz Sundays, 8pm, The Fighting Cocks