Maxi dresses, those flowy, floor-sweeping dresses that always seem to be in style and are a staple in many women’s closets are back again. The hot days of summer are the perfect time for maxi dresses, which are both comfortable and fashionable. If there is one caveat, however, it’s the confusion over what styles to wear with whatever else you happen to wear with them. That’s where this article comes in.
By wearing the right maxi dress for your body shape, and dressing it up with the right accessories, you can be both comfortable and chic. Fortunately, if you look over at Filly Flair, you are sure to find something to satisfy your tastes.
1. Do Know Your Body Shape? If maxi dresses have one thing going for them, it’s the fact that women of practically any body shape can not only wear them but look good in them. The key, however, is to know what your body shape is to determine which dress looks best on you. They might all be maxi dresses, but particular styles work better on some shapes better than others.
If you have an hourglass figure, for example, a strapless column maxi might work best on you. Are you curvy? A spaghetti-strap maxi that falls in a column or has a slight A-line might look best. Busty? A classy, capped-sleeve maxi might be the best bet.
2. Do Consider the Color and Print. Your body shape might affect how a maxi dress is worn, but so does the color and print of the fabric. Pick an optimal color and fabric that fits your shape for the best look. Are you small? Try wearing a simple and small print or a solid color. If you’re curvier, opt for a bolder print or larger floral pattern. A solid color works well too. Your skin tone also affects the pattern, so ask your friends what is best.
3. Do Find the Right Length. So, a maxi is a maxi, right? Well, not really. They might all be maxis, but they can still differ in length. Enter yet another variable into the equation of finding just the right maxi for you. Maxi dresses vary widely in lengths. Some skim your foot while others skim the floor. Getting this right can make the difference between being chic and getting your feet caught up in the dress and ending up flat on your face. The perfect maxi dress should gently touch your ankles, and maybe even to the top of your foot. No further! Not sure? Why not give a dress a test run across a floor for a few minutes. If it hits your ankles, great. That’s the one for you. If you find yourself tripping on it, keep looking.
4. Shop In Your Closet. Women make a lot of mistakes when they pick out maxi dresses, but if you are looking to save a little money, why not give what you already have in your closet a try? This is especially true if you haven’t worn certain maxis in a while. You might find something that falls within the rules above. If you do, wear it.
5. Keep Shopping. Even if you don’t happen to have a particular event you are shopping for, if you find a maxi that you like and it works for you, buy it. You will be in that much better shape when you do need something to wear.
1. Don’t Fail to Accessorize. It’s been said so many different ways for so many different styles, but it bears repeating: accessories not only make a dress but can also make what you own work that much more. Accessories not only dress up an outfit, but they can make your outfit look like your wardrobe is several times larger than it actually is.
2. Don’t Overdo the Design. Wearing maxis can be tricky. Probably more than any other type of dress, maxis are easy to overdo when it comes to design. So many women are tempted to wear a maxi with necklaces, belts, and other goodies that just make them look gaudy. Don’t make this mistake. Keep it simple and you can’t go wrong.
3. Don’t Forget to Use Other Clothes. Many women are often tempted to wear a maxi dress by itself and hope it works out. Fortunately, there is no rule anywhere that says you can’t include something else with a maxi and make it look great. For example, in the fall or summer, there’s nothing wrong with wearing a cardigan or jean jacket with a maxi. A jean jacket will go with just about anything, and a plain cardigan with a print maxi will look fabulous. If you really want to score a dressy look, but a simple black blazer on top of a maxi and you are ready for the party.
4. Don’t Overdo the Shoes. Shoes are another mistake a lot of women make when it comes to maxis. A maxi is a nice, relaxed look that many women blow with high heels or boots. Don’t make this mistake. No flip flops either. Opt for a simple pair of flats or sandals in a neutral color—closed toes preferred.
5. Don’t Be Afraid to Experiment. Many designers believe that maxi dresses are one style that hasn’t been fully explored in many areas. The professional environment is one of them. A good guide to determining what is best in an office, for example, is what the level of formality is. Maxis are open to a lot of experimentation, but there are also great ways to blow it, such as going strapless in the office. Diamond studs and a patent belt will never be wrong choices.
Maxi dresses give those who wear them a lot of options. However, not all of them are good ideas, especially when you consider where you will be wearing them. Make careful note of what others are wearing to determine what is best, but above all, don’t forget to be yourself.