Temwa are a charity committed to reducing poverty in remote communities. By enjoying and donating at this event you are supporting them in their great work. To read more about the charity follow the link here: www.temwa.org
Temwa (www.temwa.org) works to reduce poverty in remote communities in Malawi.
The area Temwa work in is particularly remote and extremely poor – so poor that families often cannot feed themselves all year round – a situation made worse in recent years by flooding and droughts. Adding to the challenges are low levels of education, high rates of HIV and water-borne diseases.
Since 2003, Temwa have been working with the community through an experienced local team. Temwa partner with the community to tackle the root causes of rural poverty simultaneously.
- To build resilient livelihoods Temwa have planted over 1 million trees and trained 5,000 farmers to help them feed their families all year round.
- To control the spread of HIV, 30,000 people have been tested through mobile clinics and those living with HIV provided with medical and social support.
- Over 2,000 people now have access to safe drinking water preventing unnecessary deaths from cholera, bilharzia and diarrhoea .
- Hundreds of children have completed secondary school through Temwa’s school bursary scheme and thousands more have benefitted from a community library and after school literacy clubs.
- More than 2,000 entrepreneurs and small businesses have been supported through training, microloans and start-up support.
Follow Temwa on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more updates: @temwauk